Sunday, October 30

Hurts so good

Fruits of my hitting labors
Roller derby. YES. I met a woman in Black Rock City wearing a derby shirt and we instantly bonded. One thing she said struck me, "Roller derby has taught me more than anything about femininity. I can be strong AND sexy without apologizing for either." It has been fantastic to get to know a group of strong and sexy women who are amazingly empowered and often quite crazy. Because my crazy has needed some company for a while, and the military folk are a different brand of crazy.

Not only has the exercise and social network been amazing, any time I'm frustrated with foreigner troubles (I know, first world problems) or freaked about not knowing what's next in life I know it's only a matter of time before the next practice where I can hip-check the crap out of someone with no hard feelings.

For anyone else out there who needs an amazing outlet... you'd be surprised where derby leagues are springing up and where they already exist.




Vocab of the day: 
Korean: 더비= derby
Military: CSC = combat stress control

No comments:

Post a Comment