Monday, December 19

Email to Detroit airport staff

To the Detroit Metro Airport management,

I wanted to thank the kind officers who helped me tonight- I arrived on
a long flight from Korea after a week of accelerated
out-processing/moving due to my husband's recently announced deployment.
After two years of living away from my home in the US, I became very
emotional going through immigration. Both the officer at the desk and
another assisting officer became concerned and far from judging me for
my wrecked emotional state, these two men offered some very kind words.
One of the officers then proceeded to help me find my baggage and walk
with me through customs so I could catch my connecting flight smoothly.
I was and still am overwhelmed by this kind gesture.

While it would have been easy for these gentlemen to either ignore my
tears or make me feel awkward for my outburst, I cannot express how much
it meant for them to offer empathy and assistance while I was struggling
to process sleep deprivation, the move and deployment. I wish I had had
the presence of mind to catch either of their names so I could thank
them personally but I did not. I commend the Detroit airport for
helping servicemembers and their families feel welcome and supported
during their travels.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart 


----------------------------


*These sweet guys tried really hard to comfort me and finally realized saying "welcome home" was what set me off and stopped saying it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment