Monday, March 22

Waiting, waiting

Some time between middle and high school, I remember hearing a performance of a song which I'm pretty sure was a spiritual which went something like, "Waiting... waiting... waiting... waiting... waiting, all my life." I can't find reference to it on the wide web, but I'll continue to believe it exists.

The song seemed laborious, sad, beautiful... and I'm not shocked that it's coming to mind right now. I'm completely tuckered out, with the little frantic rabbit-patter in my chest still, and yet everything hinges on waiting for something out of my control. This coming morning, if all goes well, someone in Korea will have put their stamp of approval on one piece of paper (my command sponsorship) and sent it to an installation in Georgia, where someone will amend another piece of paper (hubs' orders), who will then have to book me on an international flight that leaves TOMORROW.

And of course if all is set in motion as hoped, tomorrow is all the time we have to drop off my car on post (an hour away) to be shipped, get me a visa from the Korean consulate, merely begin processing my government passport application and drop off some of our remaining belongings in storage. And then some other errands like doing our taxes, throwing a goodbye party and finding a temporary home for my wedding dress that don't hinge on bureaucracies across two continents behaving. Ah life.

It is fantastic to have the hubs back. It is not so fantastic to feel a bit adrift- unemployed (if temporarily) for one of few times since I was 14, graduated from school (yay! what now?) and unsure of what's next and if it will even resemble anything like former phases of life. I am thrilled to see my recently-engaged sister within the week and trek off on this adventure in earnest, but right now it's a lot of uphill boulder rolling and paper pushing before we get to even glimpse the other side. Also trying to get wedding/reception receptions mailed... um tomorrow. I'm rethinking my previous conviction that handcrafting and wax sealing each one was absolutely essential. Good night, and good luck.

Vocab of the day:
Korean: 급함 = hurry
Military: AT = awaiting transportation

1 comment:

  1. This is craziness. I have found that the thing that bugs me the most in the whole world is "not knowing." I am currently experiencing this in not knowing what my start date will be for my job with Law Firm- I don't even know if it will be this year or next (or, God forbid, 2012 as one of my friends has learned at another firm). But regardless of WHEN it is, I would rather just know- so I can plan, organize, and generally embrace whatever the situation happens to be.

    But not knowing what the situation is... when you are possibly leaving the NEXT DAY for a foreign country... that makes me a little sick to my stomach.

    Good luck- and fly safe!!!

    ReplyDelete