Monday, February 8

Epic, fantastic disaster

So, I've been away for awhile. Apologies to my two amazing avid readers.=)  However, I think the story that follows will make up the absence. We'll play it in the style of Fortunately, Unfortunately... (told in Georgia font for appropriateness)

Fortunately, I got to go visit the husband this weekend in Atlanta before he began his next military training stint.
Unfortunately, it took a 7 hour flight to get there.
Fortunately, he was waiting at the airport and had amazing things planned like drinks atop a 73rd floor rotating bar, a trip to the Georgia Aquarium and chicken and waffles at Gladys Knight's restaraunt.
Unfortunately, the turkey wings at Gladys' gave him horrible, three day, projectile-vomiting food poisoning.
Fortunately, we had gone Chatanooga Contra dancing before he got sick. (Who knew square dancing could be so much fun?)
Unfortunately, we got in a fender bender on the way home and had to wait for the police for 1.5 hours in the FREEZING cold. (and dented the rental car door to near un-functionality): .
Fortunately, the hubs mostly recovered from the food poisoning and surprised me with a visit to the Agatha Christie's Mystery Dinner Theatre.
Unfortunately, they had our reservation booked for the following week, so we went home and watched Wall-E instead.
Fortunately, we had an awesome time visiting Martin Luther King, Jr's church and getting the hubs to his required station.
Unfortunately, he brought too much stuff to training and needed me to fly some back to Seattle.
Fortunately, the airlines tend to not charge for military baggage when you have orders.
Unfortunately, they did charge me and airport security took 45 minutes, making me miss my flight time and my reserved exit row window seat.
Fortunately, after some begging they let me on the delayed flight, squished in the back between about 12 pilots going to cover other flights abandoned by stranded DC pilots.
Unfortunately, our flight left an hour late (due to a missing pilot, ironically) and my gate-checked bag got left in Milwaukee.
Fortunately, I managed to catch the last light-rail train at midnight after filling out the missing bag forms.
Unfortunately, this train inexplicably stops halfway to Seattle on Sunday nights.
Fortunately, there was a bus to downtown from the middle of nowhere.
Unfortunately, there was no bus from downtown to home.
Fortunately, I caught a cab home for much less than the $50 it takes from the airport.
Unfortunately, I realized that the lost gate-checked bag contained my keys as I pulled up to my apartment and my roommate could not be woken by buzzer or phone.
Fortunately, we sometimes leave our balcony unlocked.
Unfortunately, I have not the monkey abilities that previous boy climbers to our balcony have and the evergreen trees nearby are not climbing-worthy, as I found out after imbedding sap in my hands.
Fortunately, I have some McGuyver in me and managed to balance the neighboring store's trashcan on the narrow cement ledge, throw a garden hose over the railing and knot one end into a foothold to arrive in the home with only some torn clothing and scratches worse.

Ah, life. I'm only glad to say that most of the disaster can be laughed off and I'm still glad we got some quality time together.

Vocab of the day:
Korean: 운이 좋은 = fortunate
Military: BAD = broken as designed

1 comment:

  1. This is unbelievable! My head might have exploded with that sequence of events if I were you. Good for you both that you were able to laugh it off :)

    Especially sorry to hear about the food poisoning though, glad he's feeling better! And, at least you were going to Georgia instead of here to our Snowmageddon. 10-20 more inches coming today...

    ReplyDelete