Friday, February 26

I've always wanted to live like a hermit...

So the movers are at it, and legally I can't help so I get to sit here awkwardly pretending not to hear the cat yowling from the balcony and attempting to do homework so this weekend can be thesis-tastic.

Whilst labeling boxes overnight and early this morning (I was told about the move about 30 hours before it happened. Awesome), I wrote both my and hubs' last names for about three boxes, then just gave up and started labeling with his name. After all, if they get lost it will only confuse people to have mine on there and they know how to track him down with military precision. The epic battle of Army practicality versus feminist identity... today goes to making sure our stuff doesn't end up on a different continent.

I also find in funny ways that I'm getting less offended by military culture and the hubs is getting more so. Funny-ironic, mostly, as about a month ago I launched into a tirade about how spouses are treated and was regarded with a blank stare. After a long (and good) conversation, he'd brought to my attention that at least from where he stood, the actual policies didn't do much downplaying of spouses, but that perhaps the culture of the folks who tended to self-select led to a culture that does all the things that really scratch my eyeballs raw. However, as he lost the power of attorney when he changed computers, submitting the move paperwork was all but impossible for me (had to do it twice to two separate posts, gross boo hiss) but went through effortlessly as soon as he did it. I think I'd come to expect as much, but he was quite frustrated, no doubt mostly by the fact that his current training has him outdoors 18 hours with no phone on many days.

Well, tonight I will have only my mattress and the stuff that fits in two suitcases in my room. (And will be done with the insane doses of ibuprofen for all the medical/dental procedures I've been packing in. Yay!) How weird. However, it might help kick my butt into thesis writing mode as it becomes unavoidably apparent that the days are dwindling.... 

Vocab of the day:
Korean: 포장하기 위하여 = to pack (whoa! throw an infinitive in there, and it gets all fancy)
Military: PCS= permanent change of station (a recycled goodie)

2 comments:

  1. woah, 30 hour heads up to move??? That is...insane. I can't believe the crazy life you are embracing, but am still super excited for you. And I love reading about it. Post-bar I am immediately going on a short cruise, but after that, I may be coming to your doorstep! We are planning on a MAJOR trip before my start date, if one ever comes into existence. Planning on hitting some major spots in Europe, but you never know what might change :)

    (PS- make sure you click my name link this week. Be prepared for giggles.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay spring break edition!=) Just keep Korea in mind... we'll have an extra room.

    ReplyDelete