Monday, January 11

Honestly?

Ok, weekend break from writing was nice, but back to it! We're now at week 9 before shipping off into the wild blue yonder, and it's growing nigh time to schedule the military movers and truly start thinking about all this stuff. Last medical appointments, computer checkups, anything that might be more difficult on the other side. I've also decided that included in this "before we go" checklist should be some amount of shoes and clothes acquisition as my sister has told me that non-Korean size clothing (read: above size 10) costs extra there, and I've had to buy and ship her shoes at least twice before.

To that end, I've been enjoying the after-Christmas sales and found some delightful items that will be well used (workout pants with pockets! cocktail-length dresses for military balls! suede boots!) at grad-school compatible rates. After getting my trusty MacBook checked at the Apple store tonight, I had a few extra minutes before class and wandered into H&M to see if there were any cheap goodies.

I love that most of the folks who work at H&M look much more like they should be advising on fashion than say, advising on education policy, though tonight's dressing room attendant looked like her goal was straight up Lady Gaga. All sorts of black sequin layers, matching neon pink lipstick and eyeshadow, one of those weird tiny fedora hats with the birdcage veil and then inexplicably Halloweeny orange-and-black striped tights with crazy platforms. And I'm sorry to say, a noticeable lisp. Alltogether an interesting package, but even more special was her unique gift for feedback. I had grabbed a crazy pair of shiny grey satin pants off the sale rack (who can resist a $10 tag?) and was debating how insane it would be to get the more-than-fitted beasts (of course, no other sizes on the sale rack) and stepped out of the dressing room to ask pink-and-orange-Gaga's opinion.

"Hey, can I get a second opinion on these?"
"Can I be honetht?"
"Please do. Are they way too tight?"
"They make your legths look like thausage cathingth."
"Huh. Uh, thanks."

Now, I did ask her to be honest. True, true and true. And I do appreciate Ms. Thing not just trying to sell whatever crap the crazy customer tries to squeeze into. But wow. Problem 1: I am concerned about the logic on this one. Either my legs look like sausages or the pants are sausage casings... but my legs looking like casings would be quite a feat that I'm not sure even my legs are up to. Problem 2: There was an easy out- just say "Yup, too tight." It's a moment where I both want to laugh until my lungs ache and call her manager for being not just a fashion nazi, but a rude one. Regardless, thanks to Ladytasticness for helping me save money this evening. And for keeping me from looking like sausage (casings?).

Vocab of the day:
Korean: 재미있은= funny
Military: AARAD= attack assessment radar

No comments:

Post a Comment